The story of Lilly's heart.

Friday, March 4, 2011

It's been a long day...

Lilly had her sedated ECHO today at Children's Medical Center of Dallas. It was definitely different from her last sedated echo! She was not to eat or drink anything past 6 am - her appointment was at 12:30. Surprisingly, she did really well for not eating for so long. She didn't cry until after the medication was administered, and I think it was because she finally got something in her mouth and wanted more. It was very hard watching her cry so hard, and not be able to do anything about it. She also looked drunk. Cute because her little eyes we kinda droopy, but horrible because she was SO out of it. I hate that feeling - I can't imagine a 10 month old enjoying it.

After we FINALLY got her to quit crying and fall asleep (about 30 minutes) we were able to lay her down on a bed for the ECHO. This is where it got scary. Her oxygen level dropped and she had spaced-out, labored breathing. I was terrified that something was wrong. The nurse immediately got a couple of doctors in the room and one of them got the oxygen going in her face. They began the echo, but all I could look at was my baby lying limp and not breathing so well.

They kept the oxygen on her the entire time until it was time to wake her up. They cut the ECHO short and we began waking her up after only about 20 minutes. I think they usually take closer to an hour to do these, but were a little concerned of her levels. We put a cold washcloth on her to try to help wake her up, but she was OUT. It took a good 30 minutes to get her to open her eyes. We poked, tickled, laughed, sang - you name it, she was not waking up. Chelsea finally nom-nomed on her neck and she woke up. Then the crying began again.

We were able to get her to drink some pedialyte and apple juice, but couldn't give her any formula yet. She continued with the crying and moving around uncontrollably. She couldn't really hold her head on her own, so we were having to help her. She was just so out of it...I hated seeing her like that.

After about 20 minutes of holding the pedialyte and apple juice down, we were able to give her some formula. She ate about 4 ounces and seemed great. She was still crying a little, but not near what she had been. After about 20 more minutes we were getting up to be discharged and Lilly decided to vomit...everywhere. The crying started again, which is understandable.

So we sat back down and comforted her. Gave her some more pedialyte and apple juice and sat some more. After about 30 - 45 minutes we were able to leave. She slept the entire way home and for about an hour once we got home. Chelsea accidently woke her up by trying to move her from our bed to hers (I was napping with her), and her eyes popped open and she was ready to play. She was still having a hard time with balancing and kept falling over while playing...which caused her to start crying. Even though I know she was still very tired, she stayed up for quite some time until we finally decided to put her to bed. All it took was a bottle and some snuggle time with daddy and she was out.

I hated seeing her like this. I know this was probably God's way of preparing me for the 22nd, but I did not like it. The good thing is that Dr. Thankavel was able to see the aortic valve leak and agree with all of Dr. Hess' opinions. She wished us well and told us to contact her if she could be of any more help. We will be staying with Dr. Hess at Cook's but would recommend Dr. Thankavel to any one of our friends or family.

So everything is set. Lilly's surgery will be on March 22 at Cook Children's in Ft. Worth. I am so nervous. I think reality is starting to hit a little bit. I cried a tiny bit on my way home the other night when Lilly wasn't in the car and my radio was up just about as loud as it would go. That is one of my stress relievers. I just belt any song at the top of my lungs...even though I can't carry a tune whatsoever. I'm pretty sure there was a guy at a light just staring at me and laughing hysterically. Oh well...glad I gave him a laugh. : )

Tomorrow night is the fundraiser at Napoli's. I am VERY excited! Please come out and join us for dinner and drinks. 7716 Davis Blvd. North Richland Hills, TX 76182 We'll also have karaoke there! The only thing I ask is that everyone be patient with the staff. It is a small place and they aren't used to big crowds yet. I have total faith in them, I just want to make sure everyone knows it may be more than 60 seconds before they get your order to you. : )

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers. We wouldn't be able to get through all of this if it weren't for you! Goodnight everyone.

We love you, Lilly!

No comments:

Post a Comment